Friday, January 20, 2012

Alternative Natural Skin Care


There are a myriad of products out there that you can use to take care of your skin, your hair, your nails and every other part of your body. The great majority of them are not at all natural even though most have a natural substitute provided for us by our planet.

Before I get into this, I want you to remember that just because it says ‘All Natural’, it does not always mean it’s good. After all MSG is a naturally occurring substance.

Now, where to start. I suppose that I should start with a very basic recipe that can get you going. Like MSG, oil (as in black gold) is a naturally occurring substance but would you like it rubbed into your skin? I wouldn't either but petroleum jelly is not too far removed from oil. Here is a recipe you can use instead.

Unpetroleum Jelly ~ Take 1/8 cup grated beeswax and mix it with 1/2 cup olive oil in a sauce pan. Melt it over very low heat. Do NOT use a microwave. Pour it into a jar to cool. Once it’s solidified, you can check it for consistency. If you want it a bit softer, re-melt it and add a little more beeswax. Once you are satisfied, it can be used in any way store bought petroleum jelly can be used.

Something else most of us use is deodorant. Because this is something that varies for everyone, I’m going to give you one example but also urge you to look for other recipes as well. There are hundreds of deodorant recipes for all types of skin. I chose this recipe because it can be used as a sprinkle on powder or, with one added ingredient, can be used as a stick deodorant.

Take 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of cornstarch in a bowl and add 10 to 20 drops tea tree oil or other similar oil and mix it up good. If you have sensitive skin, you can increase the cornstarch a little and decrease the baking soda by the same amount. The benefit of tea tree oil is a subject for its own blog sometime in the future. Use this mixture as is for a powdered deodorant.

For the stick version of this deodorant, add about 2 tablespoons or more of coconut oil, depending on your preference of consistency, which should be solid at room temperature. Then squish it into an empty deodorant dispenser and let it sit for a few days to harden up a little.

Use this deodorant a little lighter than you would your normal stick deodorant. If you use it right, it should be invisible and it will last for a very long time.

OK, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again ~ ALWAYS do your research. To get you started, here are a few websites with various recipes for you to ‘play with’:



And here’s one that is A LOT more than just skin care: Essential Survival

I hope this helps you in your quest to be more self sufficient. Enjoy!

As always, you are more than welcome to join my group ~ Kaya Self Sufficiency ~ on Facebook, where we cover all kinds of subjects to help you rely more on yourself and Mother Nature.

Now for a completely different topic: Emergency food. I was able to put together a sort of group deal for emergency food ration bars. I must order a whole pallet (126 cases) to get the excellent price of $65 per case of ten bars. One bar is 3600 calories, which equals three days worth of food. That means that one case equals 30 days worth of food. These bars have a light lemon-vanilla shortbread cookie flavor and can be fed to infants because they have no tropical oils in them.

The deal is that you go to this emergency food bar page that I set up and sign up for however many cases you would like. Once I get all 126 cases spoken for, I will replace the sign up form with a ‘Buy Now’ button and send out an email to all who have signed up. This button will take you to a PayPal page where you can make your actual order.

I will be on the lookout for more deals like this and as I find them, I will add them to this page once the ‘old deal’ is completed. I will let you know about each once as it becomes available. 

1 comment: