Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Art of Self Sufficiency Too


I’ll start with one of my own projects. This is the metal frame that came from inside an old box spring. We used it to make a trellis for our beans and peas last year. This year we are re-purposing it to grow clematis flowers.

I realize that this is not necessarily all that ‘artful’ but the end results are. To make up for that, I have found a few more pictures from around the internet to show you some more wonderful ideas. All they need is your own personal touch.

Remove a few boards from an old pallet and you have a nice wall hanging for the whole family.

Here’s an old bicycle wheel used as a pot and pan hanger.

A broken chair can be cut, decorated and hung on the wall.

Old muffin pans are perfect for growing herbs in the kitchen.

Reuse old teapots as flower pots.

An old dresser used for growing veggies.

Used windows can be made into a greenhouse.

Gardening on a balcony in a pallet.

Use an old ladder as a yard or garden art stand.

Mate a tabletop to an old pitchfork and you can have a level table anywhere.

Here’s one of my favorites ~ old fan blades attached to old table legs.

These are just a few more ideas. The items you reuse and decorate with, whether it’s useful, artful, or both are only limited by your imagination. You can start your search for ideas yourself using these search terms:
·         Recycle
·         Reuse
·         Repurpose
·         Up-cycle
·         Alternate uses
·         And I’m sure there are many more.

Here are a few websites to get you started:

I want you to remember a few things:
1.   Be yourself
2.   Impress yourself
3.   Ask for help
4.   Almost everything is reusable
5.   Most importantly ~ HAVE FUN!!!

As usual, you are more than welcome to join me in my Facebook group ~ Kaya Self Sufficiency.

I have also been updating my website of the same name ~ Kaya Self Sufficiency.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Great post, I am trying to come up with ideas for using my old wine rack out in the garden. I can't have it inside my house anymore, because my daughter thinks it is fun to climb. I am thinking about using it to hold my herbs individually in each terracotta pot????

    ReplyDelete