Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: "Poverty Prepping" by Susan Gregerson


Book review of “Poverty Prepping: How to stock up for tomorrow when you can't afford to eat today”
by Susan Gregerson



Available as a Kindle book or limited supplies in paperback.
Other offerings from this author include prepper fiction and a blog.


Version being reviewed is the kindle version, copyright April 2012.
Number of chapters: 10
At the time I purchased it the kindle version was 99 cents on Amazon. This morning it is still priced at $0.99. The author includes links and her email in the kindle version.

Review:
I was drawn to this book by the title with the thought that perhaps it would impart some knowledge that being poor hadn't already taught me. I also thought to myself more people than ever are beginning to join the ranks of prepping, self sufficiency, and simplicity and they are doing it with less expendable income than ever, maybe this could help. Oh who am I kidding amazon suggested it, it was only a buck and I said what the heck.... for a buck I'll try it. I only sort of wasted my dollar and here’s why:

This is a very beginner level book geared towards prepping for short term situations. (The general time frame given for need or use of stored items was three weeks.) It would be great for someone new to prepping, limited funds or not, who has no idea where to begin. It really is a great starter book in much the same way as Dick and Jane or Cat in the Hat are great for beginning readers. It is very basic and easy to understand with a no nonsense type of common sense that is easy to read, easy to understand, and more importantly easy to apply. The author succeeds in approaching the subject from a low income point of view while lightly covering the topics of the most basic ingredients, proper rotation and storage. She also offers simple ideas and Recipes for how to use the basic food items she recommends. The author also encourages gardening, foraging, and bartering to both augment your food stores and enhance your ability to survive.

It is however my opinion that any experienced Prepper, farmer or person who has lived in a rural location for a while will find this book too basic, no matter how broke they find themselves. The one exception to this is the Prepper who thinks everything must come from a prepping or survivalist geared company to be any good. I whole heartily recommend this book to them for the sheer practicality of it. So if that is the way you approach prepping I suggest you invest the dollar and get this book. It could very well shift the way you think about prepping.

As someone with a low income who preps, I found a few things particularly annoying however. First the author relies heavily on referring one to the Internet for information, recommending YouTube many times, yet she did not mention how or where someone may access the internet if they do not have it available to them at home. May I suggest your local library?

Second some subjects are particularly lacking in knowledge and information. For instance her discussion of fishing was primarily about her lack of knowledge in that area. In the discussion on raising your own animals for food the author briefly discusses rabbits but doesn't mention chickens at all. I was dumb founded. I'm sorry but in my opinion chickens seem like an obvious choice to mention along with rabbits in that chapter.

My Final analysis: This is a quick read that is Great for anyone just starting to prep with no idea of where to start or how. This is not meant for experienced preppers or "country folk". It is important to keep in mind that non-food items are considered expendable by this author and that the recommended period of need to prep/store for is again three weeks.

Best tip: Buy one item at a time. Normally I would give only one tip but the author mentions caulking around the lids of food grade storage containers for an extra seal and I list it here because I would not have thought to use silicone caulk as an extra sealant for storage buckets. Now I have and I might.

My favorite quote- while discussing caching your supplies the author offered up this bit of advice ~ "Make sure you won't come back to dig it up and find a Wal-Mart built over it."

Would I buy it again? For myself, I would not. I would probably buy it for someone who is just beginning or hasn't given any thought to prepping though. I do highly suggest you stop by the accompanying blog however as I have seen things there I haven't seen elsewhere.


It is a sad commentary that the author notes that you would be fine “after eating pop tarts and crackers" for a week. Is that really all the food people keep in their cupboards? Is that your experience?

As always you can join the Facebook group, like the Facebook community page, and visit the website. All of these are conveniently called “Kaya Self Sufficiency”. I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope you are getting better at providing as much as you can for yourself and for your family, group, or community.

4 comments:

  1. wow did she really suggest to survive on poptarts and crackers?!

    Oh my word....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did not actually suggest surviving on poptarts and crackers. She said one could if one had to and that is all one had...

      Delete
  2. love all of your stuff Noel! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please be sure to see Fridays Folow Up Blog for responses from Kaya.

    ReplyDelete