Sunday, December 2, 2012

Friday Follow Up ~ Book Review: "Poverty Prepping"




My apologies for the delay in posting. A rather nasty round of the flu hit our little corner of world. I will probably write something about it a little bit down the line.

 It seems I sparked a very spirited conversation about "pop tarts and crackers". Let me first and foremost say they ARE NOT the food items RECOMMENDED BY THE AUTHOR. The author was merely commenting on the fact that you could survive a week on "pop tarts and crackers" if that was what you had on hand. I agree with Susan Gregerson on this point. You could survive on "pop tarts and crackers" for a week. It is my hope that you would have plenty of water on hand because they are perhaps the two driest foods you could have but if push comes to shove her premise that anything is better than nothing is correct.

As much as I agree with that I simply cannot get behind the idea of chapter 3 titled "Don't Obsess with Nutrition". In my opinion in a crisis situation proper nutrition becomes more important than ever and if you are going to make the effort to prep you should make the effort to do so in a nutritionally balanced manner. Even on a limited budget with good rotation practices you can include foods that offer nutritional diversity.

All that aside, my final comment of Monday's blog was more a question pertaining to the standard food shopping habits of people in general. Next time I will emphasize my point more clearly.

"It is a sad commentary that the author notes that you would be fine “after eating pop tarts and crackers" for a week. IS THAT REALLY ALL THE FOOD PEOPLE KEEP IN THEIR CUPBOARDS? Is that your experience?"

Do people really buy so little that if they were suddenly stuck for a week, missing their "regular" shopping trip, all they would have is pop tarts and crackers? Where we currently live, the probability of this is scenario occurring is very low however when we lived in the city the chances of this happening to people around us was much greater. Oddly enough it seemed they were much more likely to have pop tarts too! Life in our small town certainly is much different. That's not saying we don't have pop tarts available it just seems less folks eat them.

Finishing up I'd like to note that due the flu Monday’s blog will be moved to Tuesday. I have one other bit of information/change to note as well, I have been formally added as an author to Kaya, Google however did not like me using Kaya as my namesake so I will be signing both the blog and any comments I leave as wifeofaprepper from here on out.

As always you can join the Facebook group, like the Facebook community page, and visit the website. All of these are conveniently called “Kaya Self Sufficiency”. I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope you are getting better at providing as much as you can for yourself and for your family, group, or community.

2 comments:

  1. In regard to prepping on a small budget I would recommend Sprouting. It is cheap and easy. There are many beans / seeds that sprout easily and they keeps for years. Bean and seed are a very dense foods so they do not take up very much storage space. They produce a greater volume of food than other dehydrated foods. I made my sprouters for less than a dollar each. I can make sprouts in 3 days. I made several so I can have a batch of sprouts every day in an emergency.

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-This-Sprouter-It-Works-Great/?ALLSTEPS


    Lux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice and the link Lux. It is my hope we will get more of this type of participation.

    ReplyDelete