Saturday, March 30, 2013

Knowledge



“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Self Knowledge is the root of all self sufficiency!  Not what you expected when you saw the title? Indulge me a bit and walk with me down the path of the fantastical term 'Self Knowledge'. It is filled with all kinds of possibility for interpretation. I pulled the following lists of meaning from the synonyms in the thesaurus. I'd like you to Play with these words a bit, combine them in different ways, think about what they mean in general and what they mean to you.

SELF

self, centered in self, individual, singular person, human being, man, material, matter, mortal, person, personage, singleton, somebody, something, soul, stuff, substance, earthly, earthly-minded, being, essential nature, character, entity, essence, individuality, marrow, personality, quintessence, soul, spirit, ego, personality, psyche, identity, person's individuality, distinctiveness, existence, identification, integrity, name, oneness, particularity, personality, status, uniqueness.

KNOWLEDGE

knowledge, awareness, alertness, aliveness, appreciation, attention, attentiveness, bodhi, cognizance, comprehension, consciousness, discernment, enlightenment, experience, familiarity, information, keenness, mindfulness, perception, recognition, sensibility, understanding, ability, accomplishments, education, expertise, facts, familiarity, grasp, insight, instruction, intelligence, judgment, know-how, learning, observation, philosophy, picture, power*, principles, proficiency, scholarship, schooling, science, substance, wisdom, acumen, acuity, astuteness, brains, brilliance, cleverness, cunning, farsightedness, ingenuity, sensitivity, sharpness, shrewdness, smarts, vision, wisdom, wit, ability to understand and reason, anticipation, readiness, forethought, foresight, prior knowledge, realization

That, my friends, is a lot of words and word combinations. So you are probably asking yourself, why did I just read those lists of words? I had you read them for two reasons. One, I wanted you to think, to play with the combinations and reflect on what they mean to you while you were still thinking "What the heck does this have to do with self sufficiency?". Two, it is my opinion that if you want to have a self sufficient lifestyle you better know yourself at least a smidge more than a tiny bit. In short Merriam-Webster dictionary says self knowledge is a term that is commonly used to mean an awareness of one's own capabilities, character, feelings or motivations.

There are hundreds of blog pages out there promoting survivalism, preparedness, and self sufficiency. Each and every one of them contain information, many have videos and step by step instructions. Those are great but that is information not knowledge. It can be book marked, referenced, looked up and pulled out to suit its particular application. Self Knowledge is a deep down awareness that this way of living makes you come alive in your very soul. It’s being ok with yourself and knowing which skills and information are right for you. Knowing yourself will allow you to make the decisions and take the steps and even push the boundaries in this world of DIY self determination and self motivation because believe me it’s like living in whole different world sometimes. Like I tell my kids; If you don't know what you want or like, Who does? I certainly don't. It is all up to you. As I've heard it, it all depends on how deep you want the rabbit hole to go...“It was much pleasanter at home," thought poor Alice, "when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits. I almost wish I hadn't gone down the rabbit-hole--and yet--and yet--...”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Wifeofaprepper

As always you can join the Facebook group, like the Facebook community page, and visit the website. All of these are conveniently called “Kaya Self Sufficiency”. I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope you are getting better at providing as much as you can for yourself and for your family, group, or community.


No comments:

Post a Comment